Monday, December 29, 2008

Snowed in with A Passion Most Pure




If you’ve been following the latest news, most of you know of the horrific winter storm that hit the Northwest this last week. I myself was snowed out of my house for the entire week. (Don't worry, I was rescued and had a nice warm safe place to stay.) My family and I missed Christmas together. My daughter was unable to fly home for the holiday from college due to all the flight cancellations. It was not the merry Christmas many had hoped for. However, God has a way of turning things around and making good come out of chaos. And as the winter storm raged outside many a home, there were a lot of folks who rediscovered what it was like to have a good neighbor, how to appreciate loved ones more, and that family is the most important thing. Not what gifts are under the Christmas tree.

Myself, being a writer, I wondered what it would be like to be snowed in with various characters from some of the books I’ve read over the last few months. My own book’s characters included. And after much thought, I decided that if I had to be snowed in with the characters from any of the books I’ve read, including my own, I’d have to say that the characters from Julie Lessman’s book, A Passion Most Pure won. Not that being snowed in with Dallan MacDonald doesn’t have its appeal. But let’s face it, those of you who have read my books know that one can only take so much of Kitty Morgan, and I just couldn’t imagine being snowed in with the whole Time Master bunch, which would definitely include Kitty. So the O’Connor family from Julie’s book won out.

Set against the backdrop of world war one in 1916, A Passion Most Pure spills off the pages and into one’s heart and mind like butter. It had a way of gripping me like no book had in many years. And let me tell you, it takes a lot to hold me especially when I’m working on my own stuff. Emotionally compelling and just as satisfying, the story revolves around Faith O’Conner and her younger sister Charity who both have their cap set for the same man. One the girls parents would rather they both leave alone. Collin McGuire isn’t exactly the type of chap to write home about in their book, let alone bring through the front door. But that’s exactly what happens.

Faith’s ever growing affection for Collin is kept hidden in her heart for many years and to suddenly find her sister Charity wrapped in his arms one day shatters her world. To see Collin then court Charity nearly rips it apart. Why can she not just let it go? What is it about him that so draws her? And why does he have to be in love with her sister? But wait! Collin seems to be asking himself some of the same questions. But he’s asking them about Faith! Ohhhh now we have a pickle!

The thing I loved about this book is the strong family core of the O’Connors. They love and laugh together, cry together, fight together. They are the stuff of the heart. The grist and guts that holds a family together. They are steadfast in their love for each other and that, along with an understanding of God’s forgiveness pulls them through an extremely difficult time. I’ve never started a rating system when I review a book, but if I did, and scored on a scale of 1 (being don’t waste your time) and 5 (being keep it on the shelf and never lend it out!) I’d have to give Julie’s book a five! The copy I read was loaned to me and under penalty of death too I might add. I need to remember to get it back to its rightful owner. One of these days …..

No comments: